Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013: The Year I Read

2013 turned out to be the year that I read prolifically. Due to some personal situations, I became quite the homebody. And just read. I've always been a reader. I will read anything I can get into my hands or onto my Kindle. For my 2013 Lenten sacrifice, I gave up reading fiction books and focused on spiritual reading. At the time that Lent began, I had several Catholic books going at the same time and made it a goal to finish those books before I would allow myself to read another fiction book. That fast ended up lasting until September.

Browsing through my Kindle and some of my actual hard copy books, here is the list of books I read in 2013. And not necessarily in the order that I read them.

Fun Fiction I read after September:

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Allegiant by Veronica Roth

The Uglies by Scott Westerfield
The Specials by Scott Westerfield
The Extras by Scott Westerfield

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (re-read)
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
(I read the whole Outlander Series in 2012 but started re-reading this series in anticipation of book 7 to be released in June 2014.)

The Girl in Room Fourteen by Carol Drinkwater

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

A little Spiritual Reading:

Catholicism by Father Robert Barron

Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus by Sherry A. Weddell ( My favorite of the whole year!)

The Bad Catholics Guide to Good Living by John Zmirak and Denise Matychowiak
The Bad Catholics Guide to Whiskey, Wine and Song by John Zmirak and Denise Matychowiak

The Eucharist: A Bible Study Guide for Catholics by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J.

The Eucharist: A View From the Pew by Fr. Gerald P. Weber

If Your Mind Wanders at Mass by Thomas Howard

7 Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn

My Sisters the Saints by Colleen Carroll Campbell (loved, loved, loved this one!)

And then for the Catechesis Classes I took:

Sacramental Theology: Means of Grace, Ways and Life by Kurt Stasiak, O.S.B

How Do Catholics Read the Bible by Daniel J. Harrington, S.J.

This Is Our Faith: A Catholic Catechism for Adults by Michael Pennock


You can link up to other readers through the Carrots for Michaelmas blog and see what other like-minded bloggers read this year:
WhatIReadIn2013">>


What did you read in 2013? What was your favorite book? Share your own link-up or leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading other people's list and it seems that 25 books is not a prolific read. I know I've missed a few but really, I feel like I was reading all of the time!

    ReplyDelete